The Institute for Semiconductor Engineering was founded on 1 April 1958 with the inauguration of Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Joachim Dosse was initially founded under the name "Institut für Höchstfrequenztechnik" (engl. Institute of Highest Frequency Technology). With his work and lectures on the transistor, Prof. Dosse laid the foundation for semiconductor engineering at the then Technical University and today's University of Stuttgart.
In the winter semester of 1967/1968, the Institute of Highest Frequency Technology, which at that time was located at Breitscheidstraße 2 in the centre of Stuttgart, was renamed the Institute of Semiconductor Engineering. This was accompanied by the founding of the Institute of Radio Frequency Technology (IHF), whose first director was Prof. Dr.-Ing. Alois Egger.
Moving to the University Campus Vaihingen
In 1997/1998, the IHT moved from Breitscheidstraße to the new building II of the Electrotechnical Institutes on the university campus in Vaihingen, where it received a modern clean room with a laboratory line for the production of SiGe:C-based high-frequency components.
Institute Directors from the foundation...
With the takeover of the institute management by Prof. Dr. phil. Erich Kasper in autumn 1993 the research focus changed to the development and production of high frequency components based on Group IV semiconductor solid solutions consisting of silicon, germanium and carbon (SiGe:C). The basis for this was the installation of a SiGe:C molecular beam epitaxy system, today's "A-MBE", for crystal growth under ultra-high vacuum conditions and adequate measurement and analysis technology.
Since October 2008 the IHT has been run by Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Jörg Schulze. Since then IHT has expanded its research activities in the field of molecular beam epitaxy to a complete Group-IV-Heteroepitaxy dealing with crystal growth and doping of SiGe:C:Sn crystals. Since then, this has formed the basis for the three component competence fields: